Thursday, March 29, 2012

How to: Create a PC Toolkit

       So, you are playing around on your computer, on windows, and suddenly your computer starts freaking out and you don't know what is going on? What do you do? Well, there is a chance that you just got a virus, or if you are lucky something else went wrong. Todays post I am going to talk and explain how to create a PC First Aid Kit.

       First question is what does a computer first aid kit need? Well, that is elementary my dear reader! A first aid kit needs to be able not only to help a computer when it goes whacky but also to help keeping it maintained. This means tools to help clean its' physical self, and also tools to keep its software self clean.

Without further ado, what is needed to start:
*A good size Container
*Windex (Or some screen cleaner)
*All-purpose cleaner (something relativity weak to be honest)
* Some pretty soft but strong paper towels
*A USB
*A Multi-tool
*Anti-Static Wrist Band

       Most of these are pretty self explanatory. You need both Windex and all-purpose cleaner because screen cleaners are always more effective than any all-purpose cleaners when it comes to cleaning screens. Those tools allow someone to clean someones computer so to kill germs, and prevent sticky keys if they spill something, like soda, on it. When working on a computer you should always wear a Anti-Static Wrist Band because if there is any static discharge on a computer you are trying to fix, bad things happen. Multi-tools allow portablity of a good amount of useful tools on the go, which is good for any quick fixes. Lastly, the one that needs most preparation but will be your defense for when you are working in the software realm of a computer: the usb.
       I suggest a USB with a good amount of memory for a good amount of tools. I usually use portable apps from portableapps.com but I am going to give a jist of what sort of portable apps one should get as well as what I usually grab myself.

Security:
* Antivirus:
       Always need a antivirus! Clamwin
* Spyware detection:
       I have used the portable of Spybot: S&D
* Eraser tool:
       I suggest something different on a usb just in case the eraser program on your computer found itself to have been modified. I do suggest another tool from portable apps: Eraser Portable.

Utilities:
* WinDirStat:
      WinDirStat allows someone to check what is taking up most memory on the computer at hand. 

       There are other things that would be nice to get, but I suggest to add what you feel like you need yourself, checking out the portableapps by yourself and seeing what you like. There is some very useful tools and fun things to get from there.

Before I go I would also like to mention that if you have a suggestion, or a question you can send it to me so I can make a post (maybe featuring it as one of the main, or even having an extra post for it). I do tend to want more idea's for the How To posts for Fridays so I know what is needed.

Your Fellow Technomancer,

No comments:

Post a Comment